- About Us
- Contact Us
The Academy is now entering its second phase as a Sports Specialist Academy. We have developed a comprehensive sporting system which involves the whole Academy as well as our local community. Students follow PE pathways which are specific to their individual needs and there is an extensive range of extracurricular sports giving students the chance to compete in team sports and enjoy more recreational activities.
Every student participates in at least two hours high-quality PE each week and, through the Academy's Sports Council, they have a big input in how PE and school sport are run.
Now that the Academy can boast a PE curriculum and out-of-hours programme which is second-to-none, We are looking transfer the benefits gained in PE to other areas across of the curriculum so that the spirit of the Sport Specialism is evident right across the Academy.
Our Sports Specialism offers other benefits for Salford City Academy students and the wider community:
- Lead Department Status: Our work has contributed to the PE department successfully achieving ‘Lead department' status by Salford LEA. This enables our PE staff to take on advisory roles within other secondary and primary schools in Salford to help raise the standards of teaching and learning within PE.
- Leadership Skills: We provide opportunities for students to achieve sports leader's awards and other coaching or officiating qualifications that can be used in the sports and leisure industry. For outdoor leadership experiences, students have the opportunity to undertake the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
- Student Voice: This is important at the Academy and we have our own Specialist Sports council made up of students and staff.
- Community Participation: The Academy regularly achieves local success in a range of sports and has Gifted and Talented students who attend external clubs or sporting Academies at various levels from Eccles Rugby Club to Liverpool F.C. Youth Academy. A supportive programme is provided for these pupils to support them and allow them to excel in both their sport and academic work.
- Community Links: We continue to develop develop links within the community; through our work we are a hub site for Premier League for Sport, which is funded by Manchester United and is aimed at encouraging young people to participate in different sports. Our hub site is based on volleyball where we have achieved great success in our first year and look to develop further at Regional and National level. Also based at the Academy are Salford Viking's Basketball squads and the FA Soccer Skills School.